Director of Product Production
Director of Product Production
Social Thinking is a private, independent company (25 employees) with a big mission, a big heart, and an international presence. Our CEO, founder and creator of the Social Thinking Methodology, Michelle Garcia Winner, is a pioneer in the field of social intelligence and won a congressional recognition award for her groundbreaking work, which helps foster social competencies in people who struggle in social situations. Our educational books, games, and materials are relevant to individuals ages 4-adult, and are designed to help children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, etc., as well as individuals with no diagnosis. In addition to creating and publishing these exceptional products, we disseminate our methodology through hosting our own conferences in the US and Canada, offering direct clinical services at our site in Santa Clara, CA (and sister clinics in San Jose, CA and Boston, MA), and providing clinical training programs for professionals in our field.
We are seeking a director-level professional with strong experience in the publishing industry to assume responsibilities that include:
- Hands on involvement in the production of all new products we publish, to include content copy-editing, cover and interior design, illustration work, layout, educational game design, etc.
- Production cost estimating, obtaining manufacturing bids on new products, finalizing product design for cost efficiency, etc.
- Manage content updates, new editions, and changes in existing products (49) prior to reprint
- Handle design, production and safety testing of educational games and products manufactured overseas
- Engage and communicate with authors, editors, illustrators, printers, etc.
- Negotiate foreign rights sales and manage projects and foreign publishers
- Product content translations and manufacturing
This newly created position will report to the Senior Director of Product Development and Intellectual Property, will actively interface with Social Thinking’s CEO and Vice President, will be the product liaison with our Marketing Department and Inventory Manager, and will manage the third person in this department, our Senior Coordinator of Product Development.
We are looking for a flexible thinking, hyper-organized, efficient, budget-conscious, creative multi-tasker, with stellar communicator skills who loves transforming the written word into a visually interesting and saleable product. S/he must be an independent and proven problem solver who knows how to efficiently communicate progress with upper management while seamlessly problem-solving and handling roadblocks that impede progress. The right candidate will have strong skills in seeing the “big picture” as well as possess a hawk-eye ability to spot typos and errors pre-publication. You will support forward thinking executives who are responsible for the continued growth and development of our teaching methodology as well as the way we do business. We promise you this job is not boring!
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The successful candidate will have proficient knowledge and at least 5 years of proven experience doing a combination of the following:
Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum 2 years experience at a Director level position in book publishing – no exceptions!
- Superior product management and product production knowledge and skills
- Prior experience designing book covers, writing cover copy, and graphic design of book interiors
- Creative eye and good judge of color, fonts, graphics, contrast, etc.
- Proven experience working with storybook illustrators, editors, graphic designers and printers; can talk the “lingo” of book production and graphic design
- Superior problem solving skills; mature and flexible thinker and fluid problem solver
- Willingness to adapt to fast-changing processes and procedures that improve efficiency
- Excellent command of the English language and rules of grammar and composition to copyedit and review materials prior to printing; prior professional editing experience a plus
- Strong management and motivation skills
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and know when to seek advice from upper management
- Experience developing and managing production budgets
- Ability to analyze product sales, forecast product and reprint expenses, and convey information at a high level to senior management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Pro. InDesign knowledge a plus!
- Understanding of the print process and related terminology and functions a plus!
- Curious, creative and enthusiastic
- Self-motivated; an initiator
- Balanced risk taker
- Good common sense
- Sense of humor
- Honest, trustworthy
- Cultural awareness; sensitivity and respect toward people with social challenges
- Team player
- Position available immediately at our Santa Clara, CA office
- Cover letter is mandatory. Send with salary requirements and resume to: email@example.com. Please put job title in the subject line.
- No phone calls please