Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue!
Tell us something good!
- Ages: 7-10+
- Pages: 28
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 9781936943487
- Published: 2018
Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! book introduces readers to the Thinkable Kool Q. Cumber (we call him Kool, for short!). Kool helps Social Town citizens stay calm when problems happen, and use strategies they learn to figure out the size of a problem and the expected reaction size. In the story, Aiden and his classmates present science projects, but Aiden’s friend Sam becomes frustrated with problems throughout the day. As Sam feels his brain being invaded by Glassman, he uses the strategies he learned from Kool and the five Power Pals to calm down and have a reaction that matches the size of the problem.
This engaging book is part of our Superflex series, which is designed to help children learn about their own and others’ thoughts and behaviors, and practice strategies for self-regulation across a variety of situations. As kids learn strategies to defeat the Unthinkables and unexpected behavior, they strengthen their flexible thinking and are better able to self-regulate in challenging times.
This illustrated storybook connects to and supports these Social Thinking Vocabulary concepts:
- Figuring out the size of the problem
- Learning to match reaction size to size of the problem (expected behavior)
- Social attention/observation: what are other kids doing/how are they reacting?
- Flexible Thinking
- Using strategies to defeat Glassman: calming my body, breathing in, tightening all my muscles, breathing out and relaxing them; using positive self-talk, etc.
- The Five-Step Power Plan helps organize children’s thinking so they can more effectively problem solve what’s happening around them. This aligns with and supports the four steps in the Social Thinking Social Competency Model: attend, interpret, problem solve, respond.
- Using the Five-Step Power Plan to assess the social dilemma.
Adults who are using the Superflex curriculum and concepts can use Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! in several ways:
- To help children celebrate their ability to defeat Glassman when he appears
- To teach about and illustrate how calling upon Kool Q. Cumber can help them remember to match the size of their reaction to the size of a problem
- As a companion book to Glassman, to help children compare and contrast the inner workings of their brain in tackling everyday social challenges related to problem and reaction sizes
- In situations where students find it fun to act out ONLY the negative powers of the Unthinkables, use Kool Q. Cumber to shift attention to the positive powers for defeating Glassman. Focusing exclusively on the negative powers prevents students from learning how to defeat an Unthinkable!
- Kool Q. Cumber can help when other Unthinkables invade a student’s brain alongside Glassman—Rock Brain, Worry Wall, and D.O.F. (Destroyer of Fun), etc.
Recommended Teaching & Learning Pathway
New to the world of Superflex? Explore what it’s all about in this article, and learn strategies for teaching self-awareness and self-regulation in our Superflex On Demand series. Before sharing this book with children, parents and educators need to start at the beginning, introduce core concepts, and work through the Superflex curriculum. Books should be introduced in this order:
- You Are a Social Detective!
- Social Thinking and Me
- Superflex: A Superhero Social Thinking Curriculum
Once kids have reached this point, you can choose from an array of Superflex products to teach depending on the concepts your kids need to work on. To dive deeper into strategies for staying calm when problems happen, move on to the books listed below. Buy them individually or as part of a discounted set!
- Superflex Takes On Glassman and the Team of Unthinkables
This is Kool Q. Cumber’s companion book, which should be taught first.
- Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue!
You’re on this book’s web page.