Click image to zoom.Double click image to zoom.
Sorry, product stock is less than selected quantity.
- Ages: 7-10+
- Pages: 28
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 9781936943487
- Published: 2018
Digital version must be purchased separately—only on Apple Books and Google Play (not printable).
Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! book introduces readers to the Thinkable Kool Q. Cumber (we call him Kool, for short!). Kool helps Social Town citizens stay “kool” when problems happen, and then use strategies to figure problem and reactions. In the story, Aiden’s friend Sam becomes frustrated with problems throughout the day. As Sam feels Glassman ruling his thoughts, he uses the strategies he learned from Kool and the five Power Pals to figure out a reaction that matches the size of the problem.
This engaging book is part of our Superflex series, which is designed to help children learn about their own and others’ thoughts and behaviors, and practice strategies for self-regulation across a variety of situations. As kids learn strategies to manage the Unthinkables (officially changing Unthinkables to UnthinkaBots over the course of 2021-23), they strengthen their flexible thinking and are better able to self-regulate in challenging times.
This illustrated storybook connects to and supports these Social Thinking Vocabulary concepts:
- Figuring out the size of the problem
- Learning to match reaction size to size of the problem
- Social attention/observation
- Flexible Thinking
- Sensory and language based strategies to manage Glassman: calming my body, breathing in, tightening all my muscles, breathing out and relaxing them; using positive self-talk, etc.
- Five-Step Power Plan
Adults who are using the Superflex curriculum and concepts can use Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! in several ways:
- To help children celebrate their ability to manage Glassman
- To call upon their own Thinkable strategy (Kool Q. Cumber) to figure out problem sizes and reaction sizes
- To help children compare and contrast the inner workings of their brain in tackling everyday social challenges related to problems and reactions
- To use Kool Q. Cumber to shift attention to the positive powers for managing Glassman.
Recommended Teaching & Learning Pathway
New to the world of Superflex? Explore what it’s all about in this article, and learn strategies for teaching self-awareness and self-regulation in our Superflex On Demand series. Before sharing this book with children, parents and educators need to start at the beginning, introduce core concepts, and work through the Superflex curriculum. Books should be introduced in this order:
- You Are a Social Detective!
- Social Thinking and Me
Teach BEFORE or alongside teaching the Superflex curriculum if working with kids ages 9-12.
- Superflex: A Superhero Social Thinking Curriculum
Once kids have reached this point, you can choose from an array of Superflex products. Or you can take a deeper dive through the lens of the UnthinkaBot, Glassman. Buy them individually or as part of a discounted set!
Award-winning Social Detective & Superflex Series
Our award-winning Social Detective & Superflex series teaches social observation, social awareness, perspective taking, flexible thinking, and self-regulation. Click here to explore all our Social Detective & Superflex resources—why this social emotional learning series has sold more than 447,000 copies worldwide!
Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue!
Tell us something good!
There was a problem adding this comment. Plaease try later.
Please log in