Superflex and Focus Tron to the Rescue!
Tell us something good!
- Ages: 7-10+
- Pages: 32
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 9781936943494
- Published: 2018
Superflex and Focus Tron to the Rescue! introduces readers to the Thinkable Focus Tron. Wherever they are—at school, or home, in the community—Focus Tron helps Social Town citizens remember to use their focusing powers to stay connected to what they’re doing or what others are talking about. In the story, Sarah periodically get visits from the Unthinkable (we are officially changing Unthinkables to UnthinkaBots over the course of 2021-22) Brain Eater who distracts her thoughts away from her classwork, homework, and listening to the teacher. Thanks to a lesson from the Superflex Academy and assistance from Focus Tron and other Superflex pals, she learns strategies to keep her thoughts on track.
This engaging book is part of our Superflex series, which is designed to help children learn about their own and others’ thoughts and behaviors, and practice strategies for self-regulation across a variety of situations. As they learn strategies to manage the Unthinkables, they strengthen their flexible thinking and are better able to self-regulate in challenging times.
This illustrated storybook connects to and supports these Social Thinking Vocabulary concepts:
- Using your Social Detective smarts to observe.
- Social attention/observation
- Using positive self-talk to keep trying
- Making a smart guess about what’s happening
- Keeping body and brain in the group
- Strategies to manage Brain Eater: using a fidget, using a Superflex Distracter Shield (download yours below), breaking down big tasks into smaller pieces
Adults who are using the Superflex curriculum and concepts can use Superflex and Focus Tron to the Rescue! in several ways:
- To help children celebrate their ability to manage Brain Eater
- To teach how calling upon Focus Tron can help them pause and think about options in times of uncertainty or distraction
- To help children compare and contrast the inner workings of their brains in tackling everyday social challenges related to distraction and mental focus
- To visually support students to stay focused or get focused within a situation
- To shift attention to the positive powers for managing Brain Eater
Download the Superflex Distracter Shield!
One of Focus Tron’s strategies for avoiding distraction is to place a Superflex Distracter Shield on items in a room that steal attention away from the current activity (such as computer screens, TVs, Legos, books, etc.). Download the Distracter Shield and print as many as you would like to put around the classroom, clinic, and home! Have kids color and personalize their shields to help them feel empowered by this strategy.
Recommended Teaching & Learning Pathway
New to the world of Superflex? Explore strategies for teaching self-awareness and self-regulation in our Superflex On Demand series. Before sharing this book with children, parents and educators need to start at the beginning, introduce core concepts, and work through the Superflex curriculum. Books should be introduced in this order:
- You Are a Social Detective!
- Social Thinking and Me
- Superflex: A Superhero Social Thinking Curriculum
Once kids have reached this point, you can choose from an array of Superflex products. Or you can take a deeper dive through the lens of the UnthinkaBot, Brain Eater. Buy them individually or as part of a discounted set!