Social Thinking Books & Products
Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition
By Michelle Garcia Winner
This is where to start to learn more about social interaction and social awareness. Understanding the perspectives of others is key to all interpersonal relationships. Many students, including those with high-functioning autism, Asperger syndrome, ADHD and similar social and communication challenges, have difficulties understanding that other people have perspectives that are different from their own. Michelle's model of perspective-taking makes research into Theory of Mind practical for teaching these students and even students who may be considered "neurotypical." Specific lessons, and how to apply them in different settings, are explored. The Four Steps of Communication creates a framework for understanding the complexities of social thinking and for enhancing perspective-taking in students. Social Behavior Mapping and IEPs are examined. How to focus concepts for ages and skill levels are presented through practical handouts, activities and lesson ideas. This second edition of Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME contains much expanded content, including two new chapters and an updated philosophy. The assessment chapter now includes the Social Thinking Dynamic Assessment Protocol®, with more detailed assessment techniques. For ages K-adulthood, the book provides the foundation for teaching students how to make social thinking work in their real lives and for using books like Superflex,You Are A Social Detective and others.
Thinking About You Thinking About Me 2nd Edition discusses the challenges of trying to use standardized tests to quantify an abstract, complex, synergistic process and presents the Informal Social Thinking Dynamic Assessment Protocol®.
Thinking About You Thinking About Me features three chapters on assessments: the first describes the Informal Social Thinking Assessment Protocol®, the second gives comments and critiques on other assessment techniques, and the third provides the 29 pages of the Informal Social Thinking Assessment Protocol® and checklist to encourage others to use these informal assessment tools. Research done on the effectiveness of one of the informal subtests included in the protocol is posted on our website; "The Double Interview Task: Assessing the Social Communication of Children with Asperger Syndrome".
This Book Includes
- Michelle's perspective-taking model
- How understanding the perspectives of others is the foundation of interpersonal relationships
- How to address specific deficits in this area
- The four steps of communication - enhancing perspective-taking
- Specific, related treatment activities
- Sample IEP goals and benchmarks
- The ME Binder: teaching your students their IEP goals, why this helps
- Social Behavior Mapping
- Visual ways to teach students the impact of behaviors on others and themselves
- Sample maps and make your own!
- The Social Thinking Dynamic Assessment Protocol
- Why assessments fall short
- Michelle's practical informal assessment strategy
- 25 pages of templates to use for the Social Thinking Dynamic Assessment Protocol
- Additional concrete strategies and user-friendly templates to help your student(s) build their own more dynamic social thinking abilities and see the rewards of doing so.
"Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME 2nd Edition helps parents and professionals teach social understanding concepts and skills with clear examples and explanations. It is rare to find such a practical and easy to understand resource that so aptly meets the challenge... That's why I own and use every one of her books and DVDs and reach for them again and again."
Carol Gray, The Gray Center for Social Learning and Understanding
"This book is a MUST READ! From Michelle's detailed explanations and case examples, to the oh-so-practical strategies and worksheets and ready-to-use IEP goals, her book covers it all! I can't recommend it enough!"
Sue Carpenter, special education teacher in San Jose, CA and parent of a daughter with social cognitive learning challenges
- For: Parents and professionals
- Ages: All ages
- Published: 2007
- Publisher: Think Social Publishing
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 316
- Item: 9780970132062
- ISBN: 9780970132062